Before completing the Residency Affidavit within our Residency Form (pdf provided at the bottom of this page) and presenting the required documents to Suncoast Technical Educational Center (SUNTECH), you need to consider your dependency status. This is important because it determines whose documents you will need to provide to prove residency—yours or your parent's or guardians's. In Florida, students who are under the age of 24, or who will be under he age of 24 when classes begin, are assumed dependent students. Use the checklists below to determine your dependency status.
Dependency Status Checklists:
INDEPENDENT STUDENT CHECKLIST:
- I am over the age of 24, or I will be by the time I first begin class at SUNTECH.
- I am under the age of 24, but I can document that I earned at least $7,101 for the last tax year, and I claimed myself at least $7,101 for the last tax year, and I claimed myself as a dependent, or no other person claimed me as a dependent for tax purposes. (Provide a copy of last year's tax return).
- I am under the age of 24, but I am married. (Provide a copy of marriage certificate.)
- I am under the age of 24, but I have others who receive more than half of their support from me. (provide your last year's tax return showing names and relationship of dependents.)
- I am under the age of 24, but I have been discharge from the military. (Provide copies of your discharge orders.)
- I am under the age of 24, but Iwas a ward or dependent of the courts before I reached the age of 18. (Provide form(s) from DCF or court documents.)
- I have been classified as an independent person by the SUNTECH Business Office.
NEXT STEPS: If you checked any of the boxes in this column, you are considered independent. Complete the Residency Affidavit. Provide the document(s) requested above, and provide Tier 1/Tier 2 documents in your name (See Residency Documents List below.) Please use the Cover page and checklist for proof of indepenence to submit your documents to the SUNTECH Business Office.
DEPENDENT STUDENT CHECKLIST:
- I am under the age of 24, and my parents or legal gusrdian claim me as a dependent for income tax purposes.
- I am under the age of 24 but I have lived continuously with an adult relative or another person who has claimed me as a dependent on their income taxes other than my parent for at least three years. (Provide documents proving 12 months physical residency of relative, and that you lived with them for three years.)
- I am under the age of 24, and my stepparent claims me as a dependent for income tax purposes. (Attach copies of legal adoption papers or evidence of relationship for five years).
NEXT STEPS: If you checked any of the boxes in this column, you are considered dependent. Have your parents of legal gusrdian complete residency Affidavit. Provide the document(s) listed above and the Tier 1/Tier 2 documents in your parent or legal gusrdian's name (see Residency Documents List below).
If you cannot prove that you are a dependent or an independent by checking one of the boxes above in the first column, you may write a letter documenting your circumstances to petition that SUNTECH treat you as an idependent person for establishing residency for tuition purposes. Your letter must be detailed, compelling, and must document the conditions and reasons that you feel you should be treated as an idependent person. Please bring to the Business Office or mail to: Suncoast Technical Education Center, 4057 California Street, Brooksville, FL 34606.